Re: Creating ragdoll death animations

Post by MR PINK BALLS »

jup more 2 come
Image Image

I <3 Ironmen
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Very nice. I would like to contribute the work I have done on ragdolls as well. I believe mine is the best out there for BF1942 at the moment. I had fixed all the hinges and ragdoll constraints. The soldier "flopping" around wildly is the result of incorrect range values on some of the hinges/ragdoll constraints. After fixing this, the ragdoll physics is much more stable. Here is the max file of my work on this:

BF42Ragdolls.rar

You may noticed I added some meshes to the skeleton. They are "proxy" meshes used for collision purposes. They were originally the soldier mesh imported as boxes (so that their position/rotational values would match up with the real skeleton) and then proceeded to modify them to better reflect the shape of the the soldier in terms of collision. I had also tweaked the world scale, gravity, and collision tolerance in the reactor settings. So this is pretty much the most stable ragdoll you can get from max without using a whole new skeleton.

Video of test animations I made from the ragdoll:

That video is a bit outdated. I had made those prior to correcting some of the joints. The RAR file includes the final set of animations I made. I even managed to ragdoll the soldier animations related to the explosion deaths, landings from explosion deaths, and the death in parachute animations. ;)

However please note that since I did this in Max 8, you will need Max 8 to open the max file. ;)

EDIT:

Updated video with current ragdoll animations (same ones that are packaged in that rar file)

ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
reegad

Post by reegad »

Wow! this is amazing! will def have to look into this! : D
MR PINK BALLS

Post by MR PINK BALLS »

good work apache,I eventually perfect the skeleton and got it to do exactly what I wanted although I never did get around to posting it,but,a little lesson for you,when you bring your skeleton into reactor make the skeleton inactive and create ACTUAL projectiles such as small boxes,then animate them to fire at the skeleton. It gives the animation a much more "ragdoll" feel the projectiles shift the weight as if he was actually being hit and effected by a bullet.
Image Image

I <3 Ironmen
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Very cool. Thanks. I'll redo the animations. The ones I won't do this to is the explosion/parachute landing animations as they are intended to start with initial movement anyway and the death slow animation as that one is not activated by an impactor :D

Perhaps this time I will set the skeleton in the holding Thompson pose to make a better transition from live to dead soldier as well. Some of the starting poses in the vanilla animations move a few of the limps a bit past the hinge/constraint rage so they "snap" to their range which imparts movement on them as a result. The inactive setting will tie them down till they interact with my impact object. Should make them look better afterwords. :D

EDIT:

Still couldn't use the gun starting pose as it caused bad whiplash. So I used the same starting pose as before. Only that I changed the starting pose for the lower body as the default stand pose didn't cause whiplash.

Updated animation files: (only coding change was a decrease in the swimming death animation speed via the 3pTweaking file. I changed it to 0.2)

BF42Ragdolls_v2.rar

Video of the new animations:

Other then that you can replace the existing files with these to update the animations. :D
ImageImageImage
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

can these be slipped into a custom map or mod only?
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Perhaps. The BAF file names were the same as the originals. Only difference was I changed the playing speed and file paths. I couldn't get custom weapon animations to load map side for new handweapons. But recall I could create new animations. I haven't tried death animations map side though.
ImageImageImage