Post by Diamondback »

|==========|
|STRASBOURG|
|==========|
v1.0
------------
A map by {SoH} -=Diamondback=-

Thank you for downloading the map!

Context: "Strasbourg is a french town close to the German border. Annexed by them in 1870, then by the French in 1918 and then again by the German in 1940.
On 1 March 1941, after a victory by the Free French Forces against Italian in Libya, the soldiers took the oath of Kufra: «Swear not to lay down arms until our colors, our beautiful colors, float on the Strasbourg Cathedral».
On 23 November 1944, Leclerc and the French 2nd Armoured Division liberated Strasbourg and raised the french flag over the Cathedral."

==========
|OVERVIEW|
==========

The map has been designed for Conquest game play only. This is the final version of the map. I do not plan on editing it again, at least not client side, meaning any modification will be added server-side.

The map opposes the British Army vs the German Army in the French border town of Strasbourg. Each side has an uncappable base, and an advanced base in the city of Strasbourg itself at map start.
There are four cappable control points or flags on the map. Holding 3 of the 4 control points ensures enemy ticket bleed. The city flags are, from South to North:

Hotel - This flag is held by the British Army at map start
East_Bridge - This flag is neutral at map start
West_bridge - This flag is neutral at map start
Strasbourg_Cathedral - This flag is held by the German Army at map start

Ticket values are 1:1, meaning both sides start with an equal amount of tickets.

======================
|ARMAMENT AND WEAPONS|
======================

The original idea of the map was to make it a tank/APC/jeep map only, similar to Aberdeen or Battle of the Bulge. A plane was added in the Allied main, but it can easily be removed server-side to make the map tanks only.

On a flag by flag basis, here are the different vehicles and weapons that spawn:

Allied_Main_Base:

1) Vehicles
- 1x Sherman
- 1x Sexton
- 1x Spitfire
- 2x Jeeps

2) Static defences:
- 2x Stationary_Browning
- 1x Pak40

Hotel:

1) Vehicles
- 1x Sherman/PanzerIV

2) Static defences:
- 2x Pak40s
- 1x Stationary_Browning/Stationary_MG42

3) Hand weapons:
- 1x Axis Sniper Rifle

East_Bridge:

- No vehicles, static defences or hand weapons

West_Bridge:

1) Hand weapons
- 2x Allied Assault Rifle/Axis Assault Rifle

Strasbourg_Cathedral:

1) Vehicles:
- 1x PanzerIV/Sherman

2) Static defences:
- 1x Flak38 Anti-Air Gun
- 2x Stationary_MG42
- 2x Pak40s

German_Barracks (Axis Main Base):

1) Vehicles:
- 2x Kettenkrads
- 2x PanzerIVs
- 1x Wespe
- 1x Hanomag (advanced spawn point)

2) Static defences:
- 1x Stationary_MG42
- 2x Pak40s
- 1x Flak38 Anti Air Gun

==============
|INSTALLATION|
==============

Once you have downloaded the map from Mediafire, simply extract the contents of the "Strasbourg Final.zip" folder to your desktop. Navigate to the "Strasbourg Final" folder you just extracted and Cut and Paste the file called "strasbourg.rfa"
to your "levels" folder. This folder is located by default, for Windows XP and up users @ C:\Program Files (x86)\EA Games\Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942\Archives\bf1942\levels.

To delete the map, simply delete the "strasbourg.rfa" file that you cut and paste to your "levels" folder.

===============
|ABOUT THE MAP|
===============

Editing the map in any way is not permitted. To edit or mod the map, you must ask my permission first. Moreover, the cathedral objects used in the city of Strasbourg as well as the railroad ramp object may not be used in any map or mod.

If you have any issues or bugs concerning the map, simply use the SiMPLE| Forums topic for the map, which can be found here: http://team-simple.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4838&p=1

Have fun and enjoy the map!

Strasbourg Final Download

Note:
AI + Terrain and Object Lightmapping has not been done, since it would add another 25-30 MB to the file size. I can generate the shadow work for the map if some people want it though. Still looking for someone to do the AI.

Some pictures of the final build:

Last edited by Diamondback on Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
See my Strasbourg map project here.
galileo126

Re: Strasbourg [WIP]

Post by galileo126 »

This outta be cool! I can't wait to play, or even beta test.

Work on BF1942 maps are so much appreciated, since little new work is being done. I salute you!
King squirrels

Post by King squirrels »

Let me know on the train. I am building a map with moving train in mind. Having trouble getting train to work. How does the train handle hills?
buschhans

Post by buschhans »

King squirrels wrote:Let me know on the train. I am building a map with moving train in mind. Having trouble getting train to work. How does the train handle hills?
Great news, about your BF 1942 Vanilla map work CLASSICAL MODDER.:-) Soon comes a news about it.;)
If do you like the BF 1942 Mods or search a Download please visit: http://hg-clan.blogspot.de/
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Hi buschans, please don't post anything yet as the map is still far from finished at this point. Thanks.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Hi guys. I am looking for someone to help me paint the map once I am finished with the object placement process. Preferably someone with good to excellent knowledge in ED42 texture layers and libraries, that can make believable and finely executed ground textures.

Please PM me if you are interested.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Guys, I have finally released a Beta version of the map for testing. You may download the map here: https://www.mediafire.com/?5d963cscibvv1bd

More details from the Readme file:
|==========|
|STRASBOURG|
|==========|
v0.75
------------
A map by {SoH} -=Diamondback=-

Thank you for downloading the map!

Context: "Strasbourg is a french town close to the German border. Annexed by them in 1870, then by the French in 1918 and then again by the German in 1940.
On 1 March 1941, after a victory by the Free French Forces against Italian in Libya, the soldiers took the oath of Kufra: «Swear not to lay down arms until our colors, our beautiful colors, float on the Strasbourg Cathedral».
On 23 November 1944, Leclerc and the French 2nd Armoured Division liberated Strasbourg and raised the french flag over the Cathedral."

Overview of the map:

Strasbourg is a custom map for the game Battlefield 1942. It mimics the city of Strasbourg, located in northeastern France. Although not a 1:1 replica of the city, I tried to make a map
which was realistic as much as possible. Not FH realistic, but somewhere close to it. The map pins the Americans against the Germans in the vanilla version.
The RTR version will see the French Army against the Wermacht.

The map has 6 capturable bases in addition to two mains, 4 of which are neutral at map start. Two Control Points (CPs) in the city area (Strasbourg_Cathedral and Hotel) are owned by the Americans and the Germans respectively.
Flag names, from west to east, are Water_Tank, West_Bridge, Strasbourg_Cathedral, Hotel, East_Bridge and Eastern_Outpost.
Four of the six flags are located in the city and this is where most of the fighting takes place. It is a perfect environment for tanks and infantry oriented actions.

The map is a standard Conquest map which means you need at least 4 flags to inflict ticket bleed on the enemy. All CPs have the same Area Value of 25.

Crossing the map from west to east, a railroad divides the map in two areas which are pretty much equal in surface area. The West_Bridge flag spawns a cntrllable
locomotive which can be controlled like any vehicle in the game. It can be coupled with some train wagons which have their own weapons attached, such as machineguns and a rocket launcher.
The train is a useful tactical component of the map because it can be used to go from one flag to the other, carry troops and most importantly kill enemy infantry, plane and armored units.

In addition to these custom vehicles, there are a dozen of custom meshes that have been added to the map from various mods (XPack1, BG42, XPack2) and some meshes have been made specifically for the map
itself, such as the retainer walls for the railroad and the Strasbourg Cathedral.

Vehicle and weapon spawns:

The Allied main spawns the following vehicles:
1x B17
2x Mustangs
2x Shermans
1x M10
2x Jeeps
1x M3A1 Halftrack
2x Stationary Browning
1x AA Allies

The Axis main spawns the following vehicles:
1x Ju88A
2x BF109s
2x PanzerIVs
1x Tiger
2x Kubelwagens
1x Hanomag
2x Stationary MG42
1x Flak38

The Hotel flag spawns:
1x Sherman/PanzerIV
1x Pak40 stationary artillery (when under Axis control)

The Strasbourg_Cathedral flag spawns:
1x Panzer IV/Sherman
1x Pak40 (when under Allied control)

The East_Bridge flag spawns:
2x AA_Allies/Flak38s (on the rooftop of a building)
1x Controlable Locomotive
4x Controlable train wagons

The West_Bridge flag spawns:
No vehicles

The Water_Tank flag spawns:
1x Wespe/Priest
1x Stationary MG42 (only for Axis)
1x Kubelwagen/Jeep

The Eastern_Outpost flag spawns:
1x Priest/Wespe
1x Stationary Browning
1x Jeep/Kubelwagen

I will let you discover the rest of the map by yourself. It is still in development at this stage and this is just a Beta version of the map to see how it plays. All the static objects have been laid out however.

Stuff that needs to be done for the next (and final) release:

- Painting ground textures
- Object + terrain lightmapping
- Fixing a few object related bugs
- AI support
- A loading screen
- Map description
and a few other minor things.

If you have played the map, please contribute to this project by saying what you did or didn't like about the map. This include any bug report or anything that you feel should be changed for the next release.
Please also let me know if you experience frame rate drop in any area of the map. This might be a problem for people that have older PCs.
This map is an on going project. To keep up with the current development of the map, please consult this thread: http://team-simple.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4838. You must be registered on the Team SiMPLE forums to post.

MAP INSTALLATION/UNINSTALLATION

For Windows users, simply drag and drop the "strasbourg.rfa" file to your "levels" folder, which can be found at the following directory:
C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\Battlefield 1942\Mods\bf1942\Archives\bf1942\levels

Do not rename or modify the map in any way. To uninstall the map, simply delete the "strasbourg.rfa" file from the "levels" folder.

You MAY NOT modify this map in any way unless you have my permission to do so.

Many thanks to the modder Tom_PL for taking his time to make the retainer walls in the city area with HQ textures and for [Avernes] Coco for the real life context of this map in WWII!

This map was made by {SoH} -=Diamondback=-, {SoH} Soldiers of Honor clan leader.
Ripster99840

Post by Ripster99840 »

Hello, I am new to this forum but I've had a mostly finished Iwo Jima map for over 6 months now, which was going to be used for PR1942. Well, I'm planning on getting it kicking again since my last pc killed itself. I noticed you had some custom objects on this map such as the pak40. I could really use some help on getting that into BC42 as you did. I hope to see a response, best of luck.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

Lots of things have changed since I first made the thread for this map. Currently I am painting the ground textures on ED42, here is a sneak peak:

A lot of things concerning the map have been changed, such as the flag layout, the number of vehicles, the heightmap and many other things. Once the texturing of the ground is done I will release the final version of the map.
Diamondback

Re: Strasbourg

Post by Diamondback »

The map is finished now, DL link is in my first post!