Bugs / Comments Thread

Micro Racing for 1942
Mod Download, Serverside Mods and Custom Maps
fo0k

Bugs / Comments Thread

Post by fo0k »

Please use this thread for bugs and comments.

thanks!
fo0k

Re: Bugs / Comments Thread

Post by fo0k »

so Im usign the F12 flyby view to fake the 3rd person perspective on this.. but have realised that bf42 likes to reset this view after 10 mins,, which kinda leaves you having to respawn in a new vehicle.. this sounds like hard coded stuff but anyone ever noticed this before?
Iced Earth

Post by Iced Earth »

ahh how cute, the first instance of admin abuse by giving your mod its own forum. :lol:

:D
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

heheh.. :oops: i did add the word 'temp'. lols

so this does lead to a good point.. I want to organise the Mods / Maps section. (and include all mods out there with download links)

this sites called bfmods but is kinda crap at giving people all the mods when I think about it.

something like this..

Ill set it up as its hard to explain then let me kmnow what you think

Completed Maps or Mods/Modname/Mod download and general discussion thread
Completed Maps or Mods/Modname/Custom Maps
Completed Maps or Mods/Modname/Serverside Mods

BF1942 is considered a 'Mod' too.

Genaral Mods for all (e.g. snow...)

BF1942
Custom Maps
Custom Mods Serverside
Desert Combat
Mod Download and bug Discussion Custom Maps
Custom Mods Serverside
Mario Kart
Mod Download and Discussion
Custom Maps
Custom Mods Serverside
etc..
Jeronimo

Post by Jeronimo »

Yo fo0k, here's a download link to that game that I mentioned. It's called Re-Volt, made in 1999 and freeware now. It's very similar in look and feel to your mod, that's why I want to show you so you can maybe get some further inspriration.

http://www.4hx.de/storage/Re-Volt.zip
If it's a bit slow, download from here: http://public.sujeronimo.de/re-volt.zip

Had to turn off VSync (turned on by default) so the graphics don't lag.

Here are some further ideas I had to your already brilliant mod, maybe you can make use of this:
  • Give up on the flyby cam (f12). I searched every place I know in the rfas that could have something to do with the "timeToLive" of the f12 camera. Nothing. I guess it's hardcoded and thus not changeable. Accordingly you could then build more complex and bigger tracks which don't have to be overviewable from one place.

Make the cars "enterable" and "exitable" at any time since the enterOnSpawn was only needed for the f12 camera. Give them for example 4 seats so spectators / camera men can go with a car and watch it easily while driving. Make spawners for the cars that have a maxNumberOfObjects higher than 1 and place them somewhere at the side of the race track.

Now the crazy shit: Give the cars weapons for seat 1 and 2. Two each is the maximum AFAIK, but will be enough. Choose four nice weapons, for example referring to Re-Volt: rockets, oil-drops, mines, bowling balls, ... . Implement them with nice shiny weapon effects. Make them not damage a car but give them forceOnExplosion for example, so you could throw other cars around etc. Set the weapons to empty at the beginning.

Make supplyDepots addTemplated to spawnable objects that have collision physics, but no mass and only 1 hp. They could for example look like the bolts in Revolt. When a car drives into it, the object could be destroyed (=>disappear) without influencing the driving of the car and reload one of the weapons this car has. Always use different colors for the depot objects, depending on the weapon it reloads. Small radius for the supplyDepot, so you really have to drive into the object and make it dissapear to get reloaded.

Give the drivers that don't "sit in a car" further FireArms. For example something to spawn such orange cones or barriers like they appear in Revolt, too. So they could walk around and place those somewhere to define a new track route, just the same way you would through mines or expPacks in BF42 combat, but without the explosions... timeToLive set to 9999, so they stay there till the end. Unlimited ammo. Removable with a wrench, also like in BF42.
It would indeed be a lot of work to do all this, and even worse I myself wouldn't have a clue how to do it ^^. But you convinced me that you do have the brains, so maybe you could really take something out of those ideas and implement it. Would be great to see and definitely loads of fun to play :mrgreen:

Yours Jero
Nodbrother

Post by Nodbrother »

Jeronimo wrote:... But you convinced me that you do have the brains, ...
:lol: , funny shit! I am not making fun of you, I think your ideas are great, but I have an idea too: CTF game mode. Now, I know you normally have to get out of your vehicle to take on a flag; would it be possible to change that?

Apart from that, I think this little mod is great, I just don't like to play strict.

One minor bug I noticed is when two cars hit each other sideways while racing, they swap position. Not every impact, the sideways movement has to be quite fast. Only place where I noticed it was in the last turn before the s/f line.
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

heheh well collision in bf42 was always a big buggy..! and considering the size of these little things they do pretty well to not completely glitch off the track rofl

im gonna try them with some very basic box collision meshes and see how that goes.. might make it clearer on collisions

@Jeronimo..

there are very cool ideas...

I think its a shame to give up flyby.. but might have to if no solution comes up.. (or just have 10 min sessions to avoid the cam reset..)

if removed then they would be enterable / exitable.. they are just fixed to give people a good view point for flyby

I like the weapons idea for sure (its becoming rcMK..!) and the supply depot powerups/boost is something i tried once on is82 with pretty good success.. little nitro pads etc,

the idea of a sandbox environment is certainly possible and could be a serverside mod. I could create a big blank play area with LOTS of cones, corner pieces, tyres, walls, fences, few buildings etc all as spawners.. basically all statics would be spawners (as many as possible without lag) and then the server admin could arrange them all in battlecraft/ed42 and run the server.. this would be a great addition. then players could also spawn additional objects.. a bit like the throw mod i guess. im gonna work on this bit for sure :P
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

So something strange is going on.. 5/6 people at is82.com cannot load up this mod.. they just crash either local or multi.. but clearly others are not having a problem.

can I ask a big favor for people here to try and load it up to see if theres any issues? much appreciated.
freddy

Post by freddy »

joining your server: check

host a local game: check

no problems whatsoever

Jeronimo

Post by Jeronimo »

RCC mod on bf-games-net:

http://www.bf-games.net/readnews/9526/n ... _cars.html (german)

Could cause some players form Germany to appear on your server. ;)