Operation Road Rage (for Desert Combat)

Full Game Conversions and Custom maps
Apache Thunder

Operation Road Rage (for Desert Combat)

Post by Apache Thunder »

I've finally a finished a major map project that involved porting Operation Road Rage from BF2. This includes ALL the staticobjects (over 149 unique objects + their child objects) and even got some BF2 vehicles working on the map too! I saw the eye sore that was Dalian Plant and Gulf of Oman. These maps were ported a long time ago and my modding knowledge has since changed. So I've finally decided to really think and find a way to solve the issue with getting BF2 statics to look good in BF1942. Well I've found a way! It was a bit tedious, but the end result came out very nice!

Video Preview:

Features:

1. Full BF2 port complete with all 149+ statics from Battlefield 2 and BF2: Armored Fury Booster Pack.
2. Special lightmapping technique now allows BF2 statics to appear correctly in BF1942 without noticeable quality loss!
3. A majority of the vehicles on this map were ported directly from BF2. The DPV, Humvee have been replaced by the versions present in BF2. Other BF2 vehicles present are: aav_Tunguska, jep_paratrooper, JEP_VODNIK, tnk_type98, M6_Linebacker, (modified version of DC Bradley tank to look and sound like M6-Linebacker) xp2_musclecar_01, xpak2_Semi.
4. Features new BF2 conversions of stationary weapons: ATS_TOW, ATS_HJ8, USAAS_Stinger, IGLA_DJIHIT.
5. Some guns have their gun fire sounds replaced with BF2 equilivents, this includes the 50 cal MG used on M1A1 and the the stationary guns. (they have been renamed to MEC-Bipod, and US-Bipod respectively)
6. Claymore from BF2 ported and is fully functional! Tested to be stable and no longer requires the complicated PCO and death bubble system needed in previous iterations of anti-soldier landmines. This means they will be fully functional in multiplayer! But watch out, they will go off on friendlies! ;)
7. Vehicle drop handweapon from BF242 mod ported over. Now you can call a vehicle drop where ever you are. Just make sure you are using the Heavy Assault kit!
8. Due to BF2's unusual habit of having most vehicles on their own spawner template, this means greater flexibility for replacing any vehicles you want via a server side mod!. Don't want two A10s or two SU-25's? Just change one of them to a fighter jet! :D
9. Soldier parachute replaced with BF2 Parachute.
10. Flagpoles and flags replaced with ones from BF2.
11. DDS DXt1 format lightmaps should mean better performance on older machines.
12. Special system employed to allow different minimaps and combat zones on different game modes. This means CTF, and TDM use a combat zone and minimap that looks like the "16 player" sized versions of this map in BF2.
13. Full singleplayer support.
14. Custom Thumbnail and loading screen with the mission briefing text from BF2.
15. Destructible Traffic signs just like in BF2, this includes the fuel tank wagon object! :D

Download Links: (this is a standalone map, just copy the RFA to the levels directory of your Desert Combat mod)

Client Files: (most users will use this)
OperationRoadRage_DC.rar

Server Files: (USE ONLY FOR REMOTE SERVERS!)
OperationRoadRage_DC_ServerFiles.rar

Credits to DACV (you can find him over at BFSP forums) who ported the xpac2_semi, xp2_musclecar_01, and tnk_type98 vehicles which I have included on this map. All other content was ported by me with some improvements made to the 3 existing ones ported by DACV.

Hope you enjoy this release! :D
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
BotHunter

Re: Operation Road Rage (for Desert Combat)

Post by BotHunter »

Wow! This is amazing! You think it will work multiplayer?
Walk quietly and carry a sniper rifle
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

I tested ran a dedicated server on my machine and connected to it, so as far as I know the network coding is correct and it should function in multiplayer. :D
ImageImageImage
BotHunter

Post by BotHunter »

Cool!
This is kinda off this topic, But, what are the reasons for a PC being disconnected from server? We were playing LAN, and one of the computers keeps getting disconnected after about 2 minuets. But all the other Computers will stay on. So what is going on?
Thanks!
Walk quietly and carry a sniper rifle
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

That may be a problem isolated to how the game was installed on that particular machine or an issue with that machine. I'm not well versed in networking, so I can't really answer that. :(
ImageImageImage
trapo

Post by trapo »

why dc instead of dcf?

The map is well done, good work.
But I found little strange:
Abrams - very strong
T-72 - very weak
Bradley - does not destroy land vehicles
buschhans

Post by buschhans »

Yes i have found the same thing.
The Bradly Rockets have not the Power. I wish you can made the Abrams M1 A2 from the Airwolf Mod.
This Abrams is awesome.
And i wish to move the U.S.S battlship? And to switch between the different positions.
It is possible to included more explow barrels? For explain to destroy the Petrol Station, Truck barrels trailer, the big oil save box?
Whats about the destroyable wheels? Its could be a good test for one of the new maps.
One of my known people want to upload the maps.
But at first they need a solution after the gamespy offline deadline.

If do you understand one thing not, i try to explain better ok?
My english is not the best i know.;)
If do you like the BF 1942 Mods or search a Download please visit: http://hg-clan.blogspot.de/
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

The bradley doesn't destroy most tanks because it's not the bradely. It's the M6-Linebacker and is geared mostly towards anti-aircraft. It's one of the staple vehicles of BF2. Though I never ported the BF2 meshes, so I just modified the bradely into a copy that has 4 missile pods instead of two and fires the anti-aircraft bullets. So that's as intended. The Tunguska and the M6-Linebacker (the vehicle you mistook as the Bradely) are for anti aircraft. Though they can also kill infantry and cars. The missiles they fire are only meant for aircraft, so they don't damage anything else.

The T72 is not on this map. It's a tnk_type98 ported straight from BF2. Though the map in BF2 was supposed to have the T90, I did not feel like porting a new tank and the one from DCX doesn't do it for me. :P

Don't worry too much about this, the next map I'm working on will have the bradely on the same game mode as the M6-Linebacker, so in this map, you can have both. Overall the map seems to be better balanced then Operation Road Rage.

I gave Operation Road Rage almost identical vehicle load out that BF2 gave it, so if there was any flaws with that, it's going to be present here as well. Nothing any server side mod can't fix. ;)

Same shall go for the next map I'm working on. I ported the vehicle positions from BF2 and will be using BF2 vehicles or the closest equivalents from DC.
ImageImageImage
buschhans

Post by buschhans »

I will stay tuned for more new single maps.:-)
Thats the best modded single maps for Battlefield 1942 since a long time.
It is possible the most best of all before. :D
If do you like the BF 1942 Mods or search a Download please visit: http://hg-clan.blogspot.de/
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

At this point, I have no further plans for DesertCombat releases. However I do have something else up me sleeve. Stay tuned! :D
ImageImageImage