Rallisport Challenge'42

Full Game Conversions and Custom maps
Apache Thunder

Rallisport Challenge'42

Post by Apache Thunder »

I'm working on a new project that will keep me busy once I finish the last version of Battlefield Heroes'42:

I will work on and off on this, but things won't really get moving on it until after I finish BFH'42. But I've found a method of getting the track meshes into BF1942 and have a Zmodeler plugin that can import/export the car meshes. The SM files this game uses in an older format that BF1942 won't accept and the treeMeshes are completely unusable since the Max scripts won't import them and even if they did I would just end up with the bug with sprites not showing up correctly. (MDT scripts don't export the sprites correctly. I rexported a vanilla treeMesh and got this sprite bug, thus the scripts are broken for treeMesh sprites. :( )

I will substitute the treeMeshes with things already in BF1942.

As for the animated meshes, the SKE and SKN files are compatible with BF42. I would just need to import and reaxport the SM files to make them compatible in BF1942. So long as I don't alter the vertexes, the skn file from Rallisport still works on them. I would just have to do my own animations for them since the BAF Files are not compatible and the MDT scripts can't import them.

The collision system is less complex and use "col" files to store collision data for verious models. (they aren't stored in the SM files like with BF1942 and BFV). I will probably just make entirely new ones. I might make them extremely simple based on how they were likely configured in Rallisport. Since this is a racing mod, collision mesh accuracy needs only be good enough for car interaction. Bullet interaction and the like are not required thus I will design the collision meshes accordingly.

As for the track it self, it's comprised of 7 visible mesh parts and 28 collision parts. The visible mesh was split into parts to make uvmapping better for the lightmap channel. As for the collision, I split them into many more pieces to reduce chances of lag associated with really large statics with complex collision meshes (look at my Titan static I ported from BF2142 for example, that one is lag city if you die on it or land a vehicle on it and even causes CTDs).

Looks like I split them down to the right size since I experience no lag at all driving on the track. I even tried to glitch another car through the track by driving a car into another. Thus far I haven't gotten them to fall through, so the collision physics is pretty stable. :D

I will post more as I make more progress on this. :D
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
Vilespring

Re: Rallisport Challenge'42

Post by Vilespring »

Nicely done! That looks very, spiffy. I can see this method being used for making real-life land from contour satillite maps. The resolution would be crap though, but pretty cool. I also like the car :D . It looks nice, runs nice, and thank god, has good audio. The audio of some 1942 vehicles drive me CRAZY! :shock: I could listen to that car for hours. Sexton driving, "Clankety clank, pa-DINK, Clankety clank, pa-DINK..." That thing drove my crazy while testing it for resonable fuel in my mod.
A picture is worth a thousand words, but takes up three thousand times the memory.

Area 51: http://battlefieldarea51mod.weebly.com/

"I didn't steal your pizza"
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Yeah. I have a basic understanding on the layout of the engine ssc files. Thus I was able to use the original sounds from Rallisport. I had to adapt them to a different SSC layout then what Rallisport used. I suppose they removed many of the car engine map types from the SSC files, thus I can't do sound FX for gear changes and the pipe bursts. So a lot of the extra features Rallisport had in the sound engine will be lost in BF42. But even so, it sound ok to me. :D

By the way the track is a mesh and doesn't use the heightmap. In Rallisport the tracks are stored in QM and QCM files. Unfortunately there is no max tools out there that can import them, thus I have to use a program to rip the mesh from game memory. That also involves modding the track so that the replay camera is really high up and the track view distance is jacked up. (because the mesh can't be captured from memory if it's not being rendered in the camera view)

Fortunately the track doesn't appear to use a lod system, thus the mesh is the same detail at any distance. :D
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!
GoodDayToDie!!

Post by GoodDayToDie!! »

Apache!! BABY! Fantastic work like always!

We at Interstate 1982 (is82.com) would be honored if you created a map for us!

http://is82.com/news.php

Cheers!