More a suggestion...

Give a clear description of what you need and maybe Santa will deliver
Sgt.Killboy

More a suggestion...

Post by Sgt.Killboy »

EDIT: was tryin to add pics of the time tunnel...got PHP errors..pls use google. Thnx!
____________________________________________________________________________________

Well this is less a request than a question. And sorry for my bad americaneese. I'm native german and drunken too.

Let me start this with a lil story:

When I started mapping in 2004 or so I was thinking it might be a cool Idea to have a mod, that makes one team travel all the decades that have been before.
I was remembering a 50s or 60s TV show called "Time Tunnel" in germany (The time Tunnel in the US i guess).
The Idea was to have one team set up as the "time travelers"...a kit setup like usual, modern warfare like, and the other teams like where ever you just travel. Regarding the TV show it was like Hunns and GIs or Nazis....dont remember..I was like 6 or so.

The time travelling team used to go through a psychedelic tunnel...the rest is history...

Now that our good old BF42 will have it's 10th aniversary, I just thought it might be nice, to combine all the mods that have been there as an homage to BF42 mods, and make one time traveling team always walk through that rotating psychedelic tunnel (by using a bik video for it), to get to all the nice mods we had.
Just using one map each mod of course.
Maybe some people like one or the other mod, and start pathmapping it or working on it again, like I joined the EoD team again after beeing away for years.

Not sure if this would even be possible. I just thought some kind of special forces with modern weapons travel to:

-FinnWars
-Galactic Conquest
-Stargate
-MuRa's Parallel world
-DC
-EOD
-Pirates
-Transformers
-Forgotten Hope
-Dead Citys
-Silent heroes
and so on, just to

a) celebrate the 10th aniversary of BF42
b) show all its potential
c) honor the modders
d) have fun

What do you think?
My anger management class pi**e* me off.
Swaffy

Re: More a suggestion...

Post by Swaffy »

I am not going to download all of those mods just to play this minimod. I don't even have that much disk space left.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

Killboy.. are you saying a stand along mod or not? kinda sounds like both sometimes so im not sure :)

I think it needs to be a stand alone mod featuring map/items from all mods..

but that said.. this is probably the most complicated task ever. :)

I think the alcohol is responsible though.
Jeronimo

Post by Jeronimo »

Poow and me once thoughed about merging BG42 maps with DC content, so to have great and extensive maps on a modern warfare scenario.
The idea of it is pretty easy, you'd just create patchfiles for the maps and put new vehicles, soldier kits etc. in, and you're done with only some KB of mod size!

But one real big problem for such a modmod is that all these underlying mods use the materialIDs in a different way, so you'd first have to sort all the collisions out where the same matIDs are used for different things (a tank armor here and a bullet projectile there, for example).

With the huge amount of vehicles and weapons in BG42, this could get VERY annoying only to combine it with 1 other mod. Let alone several ones.

If someone's got an idea how this could be done easily, plz let me know. Maybe with the help of some script running through the files, shifting matIDs to different ranges where they don't collide? Then again, you'd have to define all new attack/defense-matID-combinations in the damage system. And maybe even then there's a lot more that I don't see right now... :?
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

yeah, even something simple like the ground matid's are tweaked in is82 so cars will handle differently per mod :/
it does make it all a bit of a nightmare
Sgt.Killboy

Post by Sgt.Killboy »

Oh well...thats all true...really sound like a nightmare to get this done...*lol* just thought it would be fun to have a mod like that.

:D
fo0k

Post by fo0k »

what you could do......

is something a bit like an idea which we had for interstate mod once.. the idea did actually get rolling but stopped at about 30%

I set up a kinda simple mapping challenge called '16 squares'

It was a small map (16 terrain squares) which I just generated a random terrain on. Then on the edges of each square I placed a red border. Then numbered each square and saved the map 16 times... with each map having only one terrain square as such.

The rules were that you could do anything within your square so long as you did not touch the red border! (so that all the squares could be put together at the end and flow seamlessly (rofl!) together..

The idea was that nobody would know what anyone else was doing to their square until the end when they were all modified... then I would put the entire map together and upload it.. crazy fun huh!!??? :)

so.. in a similar sense, you could maybe take 16 (approx..) very memorable locations from different mods and then build it into one map..

it would go from a bit of Berlin..then fade into some snowy GC mod... then maybe fade into the interstate desert town... then into a pirate castle.. etc etc.. you might need more than one square for some bits but it could be figured out..

then in terms of the player model.. maybe just use the vanilla 1942 weapon's id's etc but just change the weapon meshes.. and also maybe make a comical texture for the player models which incorporates WW2 shoes, pirate pants, interstate suit jacket, stormtrooper helmet.. etc etc...

more of a pure tribute to all the mods in one minimod map.. simples!

set up some spawns and flags and make it a crazy conquestfest..

also.. fill it with billboards and advertising for all the various modding/bf community sites out there too.

will be the biggest thing since Britneys upskirt.
Attachments
Click the image to expand
Click the image to expand
16squares.jpg (125.84 KiB) Viewed 21441 times
Sgt.Killboy

Post by Sgt.Killboy »

Wow!

That's a cool idea hehe!

I need to think about that for a while...actually I'm not really sure if it will look as great as it sounds. Maybe the rules should be definated more significunt (speaking of Britney now *lol*).

The 1st problem I see is the skybox. Like a snowmap part wouldn't really look realistic with a desert sky and such...or rainy environment...could that be changed by code? Like alternative paths for sky textures added to each square? And Fog and suncolor, specular color etc?

I mean...If it would all be done in a desert style environment, no one would really realize thet its 16 different 16th of a map.

Know what I mean?
buschhans

BF 1942 More a suggestion...

Post by buschhans »

is your idea living?

My suggestion about BF 1942 Modding is...
I find its a big problem that the most of the
Forgotten Hope Mappack Maps not COOP able.
And all FHSW 0.5 Maps no COOP able.
Some of the new 1918 3.1 Mod Maps no COOP.
DC Xtended often crashing COOP, because its not clean modded.
BF Pirates Mod could be need COOP too?
If do you like the BF 1942 Mods or search a Download please visit: http://hg-clan.blogspot.de/