Spanish American War Mod Request/ assistance

Give a clear description of what you need and maybe Santa will deliver
Porsche917LH

Spanish American War Mod Request/ assistance

Post by Porsche917LH »

Hello,

I'm currently trying to create a Spanish American mod for Battlefield 1942 using characters, weapons, and classes from the Battlefield 1918 mod. I have several challenges
1. While I'm good with computers I have no experience with these file types. (Done some file modding in FSX, IL2 and a little of more serious stuff b ;) I'm running Windows 7 with the "complete collection" of Battlefield. I installed the 1.6 progressive and 1.6b updates or something to that effect and still get error messages in multiplayer. However this is not really my main issue.

2. In school we are currently covering the Spanish American war. I decided to take an alternate approach and make a 1st person shooter. This morning I went out and bought the 1942 game. The Mod Devlopement toolkit wizard gives me an error message when I create a file and I tried updating to v 2.75 but it still insists that the folder is invalid or something to that effect... So unless you guys can possibly help fix this I may have to outsource this part. These are the factions I will be using from the 1918 mod.
[img]ttp://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://med ... Dbf%2B1918[/img]

1. I would like to include the following:
A prologue (playable though) scene of U.S. sailor with the officer loadout onboard a generic destroyer/battleship (similar to the U.S. Maine) anchored off somewhere perhaps in the dark suddenly sinking or behaving erratically. The character despite his best efforts to swim away will be killed in the ensuing explosion.

2. A battle based on the Battlefield 1918 map "Suez Canal"
3. A battle on the Guadacanal map to represent the battles in the philliphines (I understand that guadacanal is in the solomons)
4. Perhaps a battle on Tobruk or Wake.
5. Some map that will have similar terrain to San Juan Hill (I recall there being one in the 1918 mod I believe Ypres 1914)

2. I would like to import my introduction video into the game menu.
3. I would like to import various footage of battles into the background of game menu
4. A custom loading screen background with quotes and information about the battle

Critically I need to merge this into a single seamless campaign and game mode and find out how to remove the vehicles.

I appreciate any assistance you can offer and for your time in reading this. If you have further questions or could even collaborate I would most appreciate that
-Thanks,
Ben
:)
Swaffy

Re: Spanish American War Mod Request/ assistance

Post by Swaffy »

That's a lot of work. Especially the menu editing. But all you need is RAD Video Tools to convert the menu's background video to ".bik" and to convert sound files to ".bik" format. Doing that is easy.

Uninstall your current version of BF: MDT and install the 2.75 version. I don't think it's a patch. I think it's the full program.

To capture the in-game footage, use FRAPS. Get a torrent for it, or buy it.

You can just download BF 1918 and edit that mod. No need to make a whole new mod. Just use Col Cruachan's RFA Explorer to edit/delete/add scripting and files to the RFAs. You can even delete the vehicle spawns using the RFA Explorer. Just open up the map's RFA file.
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™
Porsche917LH

Post by Porsche917LH »

Thank you so much for assistance. :)
Keep you updated.
Porsche917LH

Post by Porsche917LH »

Ok. A couple of issues
1. Do I "bink" the file or "smack" it in order to covert to .bik
2. Within the RFA file viewer it will open but contains only .con files which this doo dad can't view... So how do I use this? (a little in depth please)
Swaffy

Post by Swaffy »

Porsche917LH wrote:Ok. A couple of issues
1. Do I "bink" the file or "smack" it in order to covert to .bik
2. Within the RFA file viewer it will open but contains only .con files which this doo dad can't view... So how do I use this? (a little in depth please)
Reply to 1: Bink it. By "Binking" it, you'll convert the sound/video file to the ".bik" format.
Reply to 2: For some reason, sometimes the RFA explorer won't open up the .cons for a few mods. If this happens, just use WinRFA that is included with Battlefield Mod Development Toolkit.

Col Cruachan's RFA Explorer is great for adding/replacing/deleting files in RFAs. But WinRFA is better for just editing the text files.

Battlefield MDT v2.75 (DownloadLink)
(Forum Thread|Download) Swaffy'sMod v0.34 | Download link to come Soon™