Help tweaking/finishing map

Give a clear description of what you need and maybe Santa will deliver
assasinseye1

Re: Help tweaking/finishing map

Post by assasinseye1 »

well u would have to do this Battle crap dont detect my OpenGL... :geek:
Mapper/map textureing/design....

I wash my hands of those who imagine chattering to be knowledge, silence to be ignorance, and affection to be art.
Iced Earth

Post by Iced Earth »

I know. I was saying I would edit it! I just didn't want you to do unnecessary work.
MR PINK BALLS

Post by MR PINK BALLS »

yea,ill be home at six,ill pick up milk.
Image Image

I <3 Ironmen
Marshall_Nord

Post by Marshall_Nord »

It’s possible to increase the heightmap without having to redo the entire map. I could use Photoshop to increase the heightmap to 4096x4096 and then recode the map to use the larger terrain file. This would prevent seeing the other base area from the edges of the map. I've done this with one of our maps in DC Global Front.

All current spawn and static placements would remain unchanged so you wouldn’t have to modify these. You would need to populate the new area of the height map along with adding additional texture files.

Interested?
Iced Earth

Post by Iced Earth »

hey marshall...nice...that would be awesome. I never thought of that. Please give it a try! Map download link is in the first post.

This project has kind of stalled, a little help had been given so far but no giant leaps were being taken. I'd really like to see it completed though.
Marshall_Nord

Post by Marshall_Nord »

Here’s what I have so far:

(Thumbnail)

(Edited Map)
http://www.gfmod.com/download/longodds.zip

I fixed the “broken” mesh on the Memphis Belle. It appears that you renamed the vanilla B17 mesh files including the names inside the shader (*.rs) files. If you change the name inside the shader file, the link to the texture is somehow broken. I renamed the vanilla B17 mesh files, but not the shader code lines. I added orange dots to the place-holder, Memphis Belle textures to make sure it wasn’t using the same texture as Old 666.

The map has been changed to a 4096x4096 map. The new heightmap is simply the original map copied four times, in Photoshop, to create a 4096x4096 heightmap. The textures outside the original 2048x2048 map were roughly edited to remove obvious roads, runways, etc. This was done simply to show that the textures are new and not repeating from the other side of the map.

I don’t think ED42 or BC will load and texture a 4096x4096 heightmap, so to create the new longodds heightmap, three new patch maps at 2048x2048 will have to be made. The patch maps are identified as UL, UR & LR & divided by the yellow lines in the image. LL is the original heightmap. Keep in mind that the edges and corners of the map (where land meets) will have to match in order for the new, manually-edited map to align and look right. I would modify the centers of each new patch map first and then work my way towards the edges, trying to avoid the obvious repeating patterns that are currently shown. Go ahead and texture these three new patch maps, because they will be incorporated into the new map files. Depending on the number of textures files, they will have to be renamed manually or by use of a utility such as Irfanview.

The red line is the new, active combat area (2560x2560) to take advantage of the larger heightmap. This gives more room for bombing runs against the Japanese targets.

To improve performance, the textures outside the visible range at the map edges (shown in green) may have their size reduced from 1024x1024 to 256x256.

StaticObjects may also be added into these three new patch maps. Simply add them in the patch map’s staticobjects.con file as usual. This staticobjects.con file will be used to locate the objects in custom static cluster called out in the new map.

run ULstatics.con
run URstatics.con
run LRstatics.con

I’ll help set-up these static files when you are ready to proceed.

Another way to incorporate the patch map’s statics into the new map would be to manually increase the coordinates to match the new placement (a lot of work) or create a script to increase the coordinates.