First mod for bad company 2..

Until this forum becomes busy just include BF2, 2142 or BFV in the title
Senshi

Re: First mod for bad company 2..

Post by Senshi »

That's where I see the big problem:
I will only say that, unlike any other game released in the battlefield series AFTER bf42, this battlefield-style-game has got that "battlefield feeling" again.
Battlefield 2 had many flaws, but it had a great battlefield feeling. Battlefield 2142, though it failed in scenario, still had that feeling. Everything after that did not. And BFBC2 is the farthest away from the actual "Battlefield" feeling as possible (ok, BFH is worse ;) ). No large-scale battlefields, no large-scale tank battles, no air war, no naval war(!), only infantry combat with a small prise of tank combat. Air? Only call-in (talk about stealing CoD ideas :roll: ). Navy? None. Sorry, that clearly is NOT Battlefield, that is Arcade-MP-Shooter Number 54326, trying to steal CoD ideas.

And yes, the very classic argument I heard from dozens of BFBC2 fans: "Only snipers go prone." . What bullshit. Take BF42 (or any other shooter game, for that matter): If I sprint towards a sandbag wall, I go prone to take cover behind it if enemies fire on me. In BFBC2 I see an awesome cover behind some sandbags, sprint for it, only to notice that my soldier is apparently unable to crouch behind a 70cm obstacle in order to take cover and thus am eliminated. :roll:
A good sniper on the other hand gives a crap about if he is lying around somewhere or if he is crouching around somewhere. As long as you don't move, you are near invisible and can take out over long ranges. The fact that I, as assault soldier, am no longer able to "hit the dirt" when I come under unexpected fire while advancing is a huge atmosphere killer for me. Yes, going prone is completely unnatural and usual players feel no desire to take cover any more and want an online shoot'em'up where you run around and kill gazillions of enemies. Yeah, right.

And I don't see where the modding community was "shackled" in BF2? To the contrary: BF2 is lightyears ahead of the mod support that was given for BF42 and BFV. The BF2Editor is brilliant and extremly helpful, the code itself still is fitted in mostly regular .con files and very clear, but expanded greatly in its adaptibility in comparsion to the old BF42 engine. It is only that these vast possibilities require time and dedication of the modders, the quick'n'dirty work that was sufficient for BF42 won't cut it for BF2. Just take a look at FH2 and PR, it is absolutely incredible what those mods pulled off.

I too am only stating my opinion. I didn't pay a cent for BFBC2 (by god, no!) and only played the beta and the SP part at a friend. If it had any kind of mod support, I might give it a chance, as it surely has great potential, but in the current state it's useless. I always hoped that BF43 would finally be a worthy successor to BF42 and BF'Nam, a game worthy of the title "Battlefield", but seeing as it uses the same engine as BFBC2 I fear mod support will be nonexistant as well. :( And no Battlefield game (except BF42 and 'Nam) were any good without mods. And even those two got boring after a while.
Nodbrother

Post by Nodbrother »

I too am only stating my opinion. I didn't pay a cent for BFBC2 (by god, no!) and only played the beta and the SP part at a friend.
You are judging something you don't play? Cool statement; holds a lot of value.
If it had any kind of mod support
It won't
I always hoped that BF43 would finally be a worthy successor to BF42 and BF'Nam, a game worthy of the title "Battlefield", but seeing as it uses the same engine as BFBC2 I fear mod support will be nonexistant as well. :(
You're correct there. EA/DICE are keeping the modding part for themselves. Future mappacks will be released at a cost.
And no Battlefield game (except BF42 and 'Nam) were any good without mods. And even those two got boring after a while.
Every game I know gets boring after a while.

Oh, and I think it is a good thing that different people have their own opinions. And I will not say "I told you so" when I see you ingame in a couple of months :lol:
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

You are judging something you don't play? Cool statement; holds a lot of value.
I am judging by the experience I got during beta gameplay (which doesn't differ much from the "release" except the solved CtD and connectivity issues). I am fairly optimistic that 20 hours of beta gameplay are sufficient to form an opinion. I'm not saying that BFBC2 is a bad game, I only think it doesn't deserve the name "Battlefield" at all, considering its gameplay has no resemblance with Battlefield except the "I shoot a gun"-part. The reason simply is that I am no fan of such simplified games, I'm more of a fan of tactical challenges (current shooter favorites are BF2 PR& ArmA2, in addition to Battlegroup42, obviously). Yes, BF42 is arcade too, but nevertheless it allows for great tactical diversity.

I agree with your last statement, we are each just presenting our opinion (up to now, that is ;) ) and that's fine. I see there must be something to BFBC2 that appeals to the masses, but it simply doesn't appeal to me. Well, I really have no problem with that.
Marshall_Nord

Post by Marshall_Nord »

I’m with Senshi on this one. Ever since Battlefield 1942 made its impact on the gaming community, there have been people trying to change it into a CounterStrike clone (infantry heavy). Why? In my opinion, Battlefield is about macro scale vehicle combat with infantry taking a secondary role. Why change that? If you want small, detailed infantry-centric FPS gaming, there are plenty of games on the market. Please leave my beloved Battlefield alone! :)

And I am so sick and tired about the “skill” or “fight like a man” argument of infantry vs. vehicle combat. You people do realize that it’s a game and that’s not really you running and ducking through the streets. It doesn’t matter if the mesh/graphic surrounding your digital avatar is a human, tank, plane or squirrel the same type of gaming skills are required (albeit with different techniques). If you were a real soldier coming across a tank or IFV, you’d probably crap you pants!
HJGF

Post by HJGF »

Roger That :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
tekk

Post by tekk »

Marshall_Nord wrote: If you were a real soldier coming across a tank or IFV, you’d probably crap you pants!
There is so much truth to that, the HQ Apache footage that was just release i think last week of them gunning down journalists and laughing while doing it was disturbing, Pretty tough when your hundreds of yards away in the safety of a attack helicopter, shortly after that I seen a vid of 3 american infantry getting bombed while they were in a room laying on the floor as mortars were hitting very close, well to no surprise they were praying to god consistanly nearly in tears scared to shit. Put the shoe on the other foot its a diff game eh ;)
Nodbrother- "getting whiped every single game by some over-active 9 year old kid with too much spare time and a reaction time that is a third of yours."
motoko

Post by motoko »

tekk wrote:
Marshall_Nord wrote: If you were a real soldier coming across a tank or IFV, you’d probably crap you pants!
There is so much truth to that, the HQ Apache footage that was just release i think last week of them gunning down journalists and laughing while doing it was disturbing, Pretty tough when your hundreds of yards away in the safety of a attack helicopter, shortly after that I seen a vid of 3 american infantry getting bombed while they were in a room laying on the floor as mortars were hitting very close, well to no surprise they were praying to god consistanly nearly in tears scared to shit. Put the shoe on the other foot its a diff game eh ;)
It's war, and war has its bads. Things will happen; some not so nice. The 20 minute clip of the apache was so biased, it would make some ill-informed person hate the army. Anyhow, one way to deal with killing people is by laughing, but do you seriously think they kill them, laugh about it, and just forgot(well maybe after while and being really fucked up)?
reegad

Post by reegad »

Sure someone is gonna find a way to mod the frostbite engine <3