display existing control points on map

Until this forum becomes busy just include BF2, 2142 or BFV in the title
recofpc

display existing control points on map

Post by recofpc »

Hi,
I'd like to add some vehicles to my BF2 maps but I can't display existing control points on it. Most tutorials explain how to create new control points buI don't want to create new ones. I just want to add some other vehicles (objct spawners) linked to the control points. Is it possible?
thanks
fo0k

Re: display existing control points on map

Post by fo0k »

Welcome to the site! I can't help but someone will. Could a mod move this to the bf2 section please.. Just on my phone and it's a pain :)
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

For Battlefield 2 related modding a huge set of resources and tutorials can be found over at bfeditor.org
http://www.bfeditor.org/forums/index.php?showforum=17

The one that might interest you, it explains how to FULLY restore the editor files from "published" maps that not include the special editor data (which is saved in the "editor" folder of a map). So this way you even can restore terrain detail textures and all that, it's pretty cool:
http://www.bfeditor.org/forums/index.ph ... 14618&st=0
It's in the very long first post tutorial, but look for the chapter titled "Setting up your GamePlayObjects", there's a very detailed description on how to recreate the control points, even with all gamemodes included as separate layers, very professional actually :) .

If you only want it quick'n'dirty: Go to your map folder (mods\bf2_edit\levels\MAPNAME\) and create a new folder named "editor" if it doesn't exist yet. Then go to MAPNAME\Gamemodes\gpm_cq\64 (or whatever gamemode you want the flaglayout from) and just copy the Gameplayobjects.con from there to your MAPNAME\editor folder. Then start the editor and load the map, all the flags and object spawners and spawnpoints should be in.
recofpc

Post by recofpc »

Thanks for the answers !

I read the tutorial "Recreating Map's Editor Files", it's a good tutorial ! But my aim was not to "re-create ones, but using the ones in the original maps. But I probably have no choice; I'll have to recreate new ones. At least, this tutorial explais very well how to do it !

As regards the "quick and dirty" explanation you 've given, I tried to create this "bf2_edit" folder ( mods\bf2_edit\levels\MAPNAME\), but it doesn't work. So I used the method I found on another forum :

Go to EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\mod name \Levels\*the map you want to modify*
There's 2 .zip files. Extract them. Then, create a folder called "Editor". Go to *map folder*\Gamemodes\*the mode you want to edit*\*the size you want to edit*, and copy Gameplayobjects.con
Paste it into your Editor folder. Then you can open the BF2 Editor, choose the mod name, load the LevelEditor (at the top, left of the window). Then File ==> Load, choose your map, and you can begin to edit
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

That's exactly what I'm saying...

If you want to edit original maps or custom maps you downloaded somewhere, they don't have any editor files in 95% of cases. That is why you need to "recreate" them.

The problem with editing things in mods\bf2 is that you cripple your game and can no longer play online. Depending on what changes you do you will either get kicked by Punkbuster or in worst case scenarios even banned.

That's why it's common practice to do all modding in a separate folder (named bf2_edit for sake of simplicity). To create it, just copy your existing mods\bf2 folder and rename it to bf2_edit.

In order to be able to properly use the BF2Editor, you'll also need to unzip all the zip files in there. Meaning that e.g. the objects_client.zip has to be unzipped so the editor can properly read and edit those files. Extract them in this manner:
mods\bf2_edit\objects\vehicles\... , so the name of the zip file always is a separate folder inside of bf2_edit. Make sure to always extract both the _client and _server zips, both into the very same directory. It is entirely possible that files are duplicate, just confirm overwrites. Always start with unpacking the _client.zip and then the corresponding _server.zip so you can be certain to have the correct files if duplicates exist (the server files have higher priority than client files).
recofpc

Post by recofpc »

Thanks! I think I understand now, why the "bf2_edit" folder needs to be created, to keep original bf2 files intacts for online game. And I understand now that we have to choose this "bf2_edit" folder in the "select start up mod", right ? So, before that, I copy and paste the gameplayobject I wanted to modify in the "editor" folder within the map folder i want to modify. After the end of the loading, I tick every item in the "mod manager", then I select the "level editor" and I "load" the map in the "file menu". After some loading, I have the map opened like in game and I can see the control points and the objectspawners.
>BUT : when I do the same with another mod (different from bf2 or the bf2_edit), lets say "myMod" (I didn't create a "myMod_edit because I just want to see the control points for now, and edit later), it crashes the editor :
Here is what I do : in the "mode manager", there are only 2 folders which are "vehicles" and "weapons", whereas ther are much more with the bf2_editor. I still tick both of these items, I load the map and after some loading and many scripting lines, red colored, saying things like "[base] : networkable info Basicinfo not found !" and the last line says "Ignored Warning [Game] : AT_MP5 Kit error, index conflic. two or more weapons... and I can't read next because a windows shows up saying : BF2Editor Error-Unhandled Exception The application has generated an eception and will be closed. Please attach the crash dump to the error report. Open dump folder ?

2 other things : someone told me
-that my game has to be 1.4 patched but my game is 1.5 patched. Will it cause any problem ?
-that I should copy my bf2 folder somewhere else than my C hard disk, and install there my bf2 editor
These could be the source of my problems ?
(thanks for your time..)
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

No, your two last questions will not be a problem, you probably just read an old post of somebody ;) .

Well, if you create a new mod, you obviously need to have created all the required files for it as well, the vanilla bf2 objects are not loaded at all in that case, leaving you with an "empty" mod (thus it obviously crashes).

Or do you mean you want to edit a map from another mod (like Project Reality)? If that's the case, just treat the mod folder as the bf2 folder: copy it, rename it to xx_edit and load that one in the editor. In the "Mod manager" inside the Editor, you just can tick/untick elements you want the editor to load or not. E.g. if you just want to edit flags and vehicles, you won't need effects. So you can untick it here and the editor will load no effect files. This simply decreases the startup time.
recofpc

Post by recofpc »

Actually, the two last questions were because of some answers on an other forum, last week..but ok, I won't pay attention to it anymore, thanks.

Yes, as I tried to explain, I'm trying to mod an existing mod, but only vehicles on its maps, that's why I need to see the control points and its object spawners. I did as you said (xx_edit), but the only folder I see in the mod manager are "vehicles" and "weapons", so I tick it, as you said. After that, I load the map and after some loading and many scripting lines, red colored, saying things like "[base] : networkable info Basicinfo not found !" and the last line says "Ignored Warning [Game] : AT_MP5 Kit error, index conflic. two or more weapons... and I can't read next because a windows shows up saying : "BF2Editor Error-Unhandled Exception The application has generated an eception and will be closed. Please attach the crash dump to the error report. Open dump folder ?".
Thanks for your time and answers, I really don't what to do more, I've read many tutorials without finding the answer I need.