Surface Texture Tiles

Until this forum becomes busy just include BF2, 2142 or BFV in the title
=ArA=DeathFromAbove

Surface Texture Tiles

Post by =ArA=DeathFromAbove »

I am sure this question has been asked previously, however, I am porting over the Hastings terrain and textures into the new Crysis 2 editor and have a question with how the surface texture tiles fit together.

The hastings height map is 512 X 512.

However, there are several surface texture tiles in the maps textures folder. THey are listed as follows detail.dds, tx00x00.dds through to tx07x07.dds all up 65 .dds files. Now these file images range in size from 256 X 256 to 1024 X 1024. How do these tiles fit together in the map which is smaller at 512 X 512 than the 1024 tile? Is there overlaping, do tiles fit together side by side?

Once I understand this important thing, I can cut up the height map in the crysis 2 editor to hopefully match the tile size for the surface texture and import them - this enables me to get the exact surface map.

I cannot get the height map to port exactly, there are subtle problems on porting, and i think having the textures down will help me manually fix the terrain.

thanks
=ArA=DeathFromAbove

Re: Surface Texture Tiles

Anyone?
Senshi

Post by Senshi »

They should have the same size, actually, having different filesizes is unusual.

However, if individual texture files are bigger, that is no biggie, as BF automatically scales down the individal texture files to the same size. E.g. if the default texture size is set to 512x512, all larger images are scaled down so they fit in the Tx-Grid. The size of the individual Tx patch is defined in the Terrain.con as a factor of the heightmap size.

So for you: Just make sure all images are the same size when you merge them. Merging them is easy, as Tx01x23 is a simple XY-grid. The first numbers (01) are the horizontal (row) numbers, the second (23) are the vertical (column) numbers.

Code: Select all

tx00x00.tx01x00.tx02x00.tx03x00

tx00x01.tx01x01.tx02x01.tx03x01

tx00x03..........................tx03x03
The grid can have different sizes (00 going up to 07 or even higher), that depends on the aforementioned size definition as well as the mapsize itself (large map with small patch size means high detail, but many many texture files).
=ArA=DeathFromAbove

Thanks Senshi!

I figured refractor was somehow adjusting it for it to work. cheers
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder »

Yeah. As I recall a few maps in BF2/BF2142/BFHeroes can sometimes have non matching image sizes. Mostly the differing ones are the ones with less detail or terrain that is underwater. The game engine just automatically scales it up/down to fit the grid.
ImageImageImage
I have cameras in your head!